How do you choose your coach?
Often coaches are selected based on a recommendation from someone else, but how do you know that this coach is the right coach for you?
As an industry the only regulation of coaching standards is done through the International Regulator of Coaches and Mentors CIC (IRCM). Therefore, the questions you should be asking about your coach are, at minimum, the following:
- Is the coach you are selecting to work with trained?
It is easy for the coach to say ‘yes’ that they are, but what is the quality of training?
The IRCM recommends that coach training is verified by an independent body, and there are two types of independent bodies that can undertake this verification:
- IRCM REGISTERED or ACCREDITED Professional Bodies, who are capable of providing an independent verification of each private, commercial, training organisation; and in turn each course/workshop that the organisation provides.
- IRCM REGISTERED Formal Education Bodies. Unlike private, commercial, training organisations; formal education bodies are required to meet Country based Education Standards and by registering with the IRCM, they also agree to abide by and incorporate the IRCM’s Standards, Ethics, and Core Competencies in each course/workshop.
- The question to ask in your interview of the coach include:
- How did they select the course?
- What due-diligence did they do?
- Is the course independently verified through an IRCM verification process?
- If the answer is ‘no’, what is the one reason that you would select to work with a coach who is not qualified through the right course?
- Is the coach you are selecting to work with competent?
- Competence is determined by a coaches independent but external verification.
- This is simply provided by an ACCREDITATION/CREDENTIAL process provided by an IRCM REGISTERED or ACCREDITED Professional Body.
- If the answer is that the coach is not accredited/credentialed by an IRCM Registered/Accredited Professional Body, has the coach independently REGISTERED on the IRCM’s Individual Suppliers Register?
- If the answer is ‘no’, what is the one reason that you would select to work with a coach who is not competent?
- If the answer is ‘yes’, this coach has agreed to abide by the IRCM’s Standards, Ethics, and Core Competencies.
How do you check?
- Click here and if the coaches Professional Body is REGISTERED or ACCREDITED, you will be able to click through to the Professional Bodies own directory to verify the coaches status.
- If the coach is not accredited/credentialled with an IRCM REGISTERED or ACCREDITED Professional Body, click here and verify if the coach is independently REGISTERED with the IRCM.
If the coach is not trained and not competent, what is the reason you would select to work with them?
Complete the form below to share your thoughts, ideas, concerns, or ask your questions about how to select your own coach: