Simply put, accountability is the obligation of each person to accept responsibility or to account for their actions or their communication as a Coach, a Mentor, or an individual working within a coaching/mentoring organisation.
While communication is a large part of the Coaching and Mentoring industry, it is recognised by the IRCM CIC that each Coach, Mentor, or individual working within a coaching/mentoring organisation is accountable for their actions. With the simplicity of communication today it is very easy for the sender to share information in a way that is not professional. For example, when the sender is frustrated, angry, upset, or overwhelmed they have the opportunity to do one of two things:
- the sender can send out the shared communication expressing their information in a way that is not professional, derogatory, or inaccurate, or.
- the sender can express their shared information but not send it out immediately. Take a step back from what they have said and/or done and return to the communication sometime later, review what they wrote and take the opportunity to re-write it.
In this example, there is both the communication and the action.
The accountability clause under Personal Conduct in the Coaching and Mentoring Code of Industry Standards and Ethics simple states that it is the obligation of each person to accept the responsibility or to account for their actions as a Coach, a Mentor, or an individual working within the coaching and mentoring industry.
This accountability does not only relate to the sender, but also to the receiver.
- How can the sender ensure that what they share through actions and/or communication is done in a professional manner?
- How does the receiver see themselves when they are reading or listening to the shared information?
- How can the receiver move into the position of the sender, and respond in a manner that is professional?
However the sender and the receiver behaves through actions or communication, it is their personal responsibility to accept accountability for the way in which they behave.